10.12.2007

A Letter to you, Ma, on your 60th birthday.

I often think back to my childhood, and how you shaped me into the person I am today. In fact, many of my personality traits, I inherited or learned from you. So, I want to share with you what I believe are the most valuable gifts you have given me:

You taught me to enjoy every day of my life.
When I see how each morning you look forward to taking a sunrise walk along the beach, I too feel your energy awaken. You remind me that life is a gift, that every sunny day is a treasure with new possibilities.

You taught me to follow my own dreams.
You have been a dreamer all your life, and I know that you have often set aside your own dreams for us, your children. But as we have grown older, you have reclaimed your own life dreams, living life on your own terms. I admire your bravery, your heart. And, I know I can take my dreams to reality, too.

You taught me to persevere through the rough times.
Over the years, I have realized that life hasn't always been so kind to you. I don't pretend to know how it really feels to have experienced all that you have been through. But despite all the ups and downs, the difficult periods in your life, you manage to push through, perhaps knowing that the future will always be better. You have so much strength inside, and I wish I could be as strong as you.

You showed me how to cherish the people in my life.
Everywhere you go in the world, your friends are there for you. I am constantly amazed with how deep and lasting your connections are with your friends. I have seen many times how your old friends instantly reconnect with you again, even if it has been weeks or decades since you last saw them. I only now am starting to understand the power of true and lasting friendships.

You accept me just as I am.
I can see the pride in your eyes, not just for what I have accomplished with my life, but for who I am as a person, for what I believe, for my passions... And with simple gestures of acceptance - the hugs, the kisses, the gifts - I know I have done right in my life.

I am proud to be me, I love what stand for, and I am excited about where my life is going. My approach to "living life" has been your gift to me.

So on your 60th birthday, I honor you with the only thing I can give completely - your son's loving heart.

I love you, Ma.

Ho Chie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home