3.21.2006

In the past week, I have watched thirty-three features, documentaries, and short films. I am insane, and I love it!

I love watching these Asian American independent films for so many reasons. Obviously, entertainment value and the possibility of crossing paths with "stars" is one exciting reason. Another is that the subject matter often speaks volumes in reference to my own experiences as an Asian American or that seeing an Asian face on the big screen simply validates our existence. But, what truly draws me is that there is so much heart, so much dedication put into these artistic presentations. These are true "labors of love."

When I hear stories about young independent directors borrowing on credit to create and complete a film they have dreamt about, or well-established actors who decline their usual salaries because they believe in the vision of the project, I am reminded that we all need to feel passionate about what we do in life. To quote one of the short films I saw, "there is no happy ending in life, there are only happy moments." There is no end-point in this game of life. It is the process of figuring out all the little steps along the way and enjoying the unexpected moments. Each of us must, at some point in our lives, confront the values, passions, and pressures that tug at our heart-strings. And we must hopefully be brave enough to pursue the route that makes us feel most complete and happy.

Another reason I love attending Asian American festivals, as I have for well over a decade, well, that would be the feeling of discovering a hidden gem among all the grains of sand on a beach. I felt that way again just tonight after watching films like Only the Brave, which recounts the valour of the all Japanese American 100th Battalion/442nd Regimental Combat Team, and the wonderfully warm and funny Colma: The Musical, quite possibly one of the most entertaining movie musicals I have ever seen. I even bought their CD soundtrack, and I don't even collect CDs...

I can't stop smiling right now. I'm in love with passion and heart.


Among the star-studded cast of Only the Brave:
Greg Watanabe, Jason Scott Lee, Lane Nishikawa, Tamlyn Tomita...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home