4.14.2005

The other day, a real Native American powwow caught my attention, so I stopped to observe for a little bit. It's amazing how much pride and dignity a community can have, and I wondered if this is how "outsiders" looking upon my community of Taiwanese Americans feel. Well, I'm sure our circumstances are quite different even as marginalized Americans, but at the very least, we both struggle to preserve and declare our unique identities. The thought also occurred to me how embarrassing it is that my alma mater still has a prancing "chief" as a sports team mascot. Might as well be a dancing "oriental" man...




As I was driving home today, I noticed a chopper hovering over Berkeley. Once I got closer to campus, I realized it was part of a police force in the air and on the ground monitoring a protest/strike on campus. It's good to know that peaceful demonstration and the pursuit of social justice is alive and well in Berkeley. I actually parked my car and joined the crowd for awhile. It feels good to support a good and worthy cause.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home