12.10.2004

You know what a real friend is? One who would give you more than a few thousand dollars, no questions asked.

I was chatting online with my friend Shirley who I've known since college and graduate school while living in the same apartment complex. It must've been something I suggested (perhaps all my bitching about future job hunting), which gave her the impression that I was struggling financially (I'm a physician for goodness' sake! But cost-of-living is high here!). Then I mentioned how nice it would be if I had enough money saved up (I suck at saving.) so I could just travel for a few months to recover from all the stresses of residency training (Yeah, it sucks working for The Man, plus I'm lazy!). So, Shirley somehow approximated that my expenses would be in the range of $4K if I were to actually do this (Oh, I still want to, believe me!). And then she offered it to me. Yes. Thousands of dollars. Her reason? Because I had been there all those years for her during college and graduate school (What did I do? Except suffer alongside with her?).

Of course I turned down the offer. (Little devil on shoulder says: Should've taken it, dude! Angel on other shoulder says: Hush, little man!)

But I tell you... That's when you realize who your true friends really are. The ones who believe your well-being is worth more than the value of money. Wow, Shirley, how incredibly generous of you! You brought a smile to my face when I needed it most.

I still don't want your money. I'll keep that friendship, though... *hugs*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home