7.14.2003

Today, one of the staff members, Jessica, and I transported a kid with an injury down to the Children's Hospital in Fresno. It was a long drive – 2 hours each way. We also made pitstops at Burger King and Starbucks. It's amazing what a Whopper and a Frappucino will do for the psyche. It was nice getting away from camp and seeing civilization again for a little while. On the way back and forth, we passed the town of Minkler, population 30. Perhaps I should consider moving there. I could become both city council president and part-time fireman as a side job. Or maybe I could bring my own job title; I look pretty darn good as a burger King, I think.


I'm getting so used to the outdoors that I actually look forward to sleeping out on deck at night. And I love my sleeping bag. It's comfy and keeps me just warm enough even through the midnight chill. One of the other staff members told me that last month she woke up with frost covering her sleeping bag. And just to think that the daytime highs reach the high 90's. It reminds of Chicago summers and winters cycling within a period of 24 hours. I think that if I were stranded up in the mountains alone and I lost my sleeping bag, I would die pretty fast.

I'm a wimp. I belong on a tropical island.

Brrrr... I can't feel my toes.

Fellow medical staff.

Bearskin Meadow Camp set in the woods.

Taming those wild beasts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home