7.12.2003

I've been out here a few days now, and I can't explain in words how amazing the views within the Sequoia National Park are. I have simply been in awe at every turn. The campsite where I'm staying is also very rustic and secluded. We sleep "on deck," meaning we sleep in the open outdoors, underneath the glimmering stars. The nights can get really chilly, but when I lay there in my cozy sleeping bag and look up into the open starry night, everything just feels right. Even the dew that forms on my sleeping bag in the wee hours of the morning.

Last night, I went on my first overnight hiking trip with some of the kids. We didn't go far, but the half-hour walk was breath taking. At one point, the creek was flowing from one small stone reservoir into another, as if one were pouring water from one cup into another step-wise all the way down the hill. At the very top of the hill, we could see the other magnificent mountain ranges in the distance. Our final destination was a site called Big Trees, where one of the largest sequoia trees could be found. We set up camp there, next to a bubbling creek. We roasted hot dogs and marshmallows around a campfire, and when it came time to settle in, I decided to sleep next to the campfire and creek. In a picture-perfect setting, I watched the nearly full moon set behind the silhouette of the sequoia grove surrounding us. As it got darker and darker, I tried not to be afraid of bears, which I know are running freely in the woods around here... Please don't eat me, Mr. Bear.

A couple of spectacular views.

Camping out at Big Trees and keeping warm.

The "basketball" group, heading home after the night out.

An amazing panoramic view.

Lake Hume, a nice little get-away area from camp.

Lunch with some of the resident medical staff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home