4.22.2002

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Big walking day for me... I'm in pain now... So, I took the subway downtown to try to find the Guggenheim Soho Museum, and when I came up to the surface, I started walking south. Or so I thought. About 20 blocks later, I discovered I was walking north and backtracking towards midtown Manhattan. What a bummer. Anyways, I gave up on the Guggenheim plan and ended up jumping on another train down to Chinatown to take some pictures around historic Mott Street. After my little self-guided Asian American history tour, I found a nice little bakery and enjoyed some coffee and Chinese pastries before working my way towards Little Italy and Greenwich Village. While I was in Greenwich, I ended up spending about half an hour standing in front of a tribute to the victims of 9/11 consisting of hand-painted ceramic tiles by children. I think I was so drawn to this pseudo-memorial because it was one of the few remaining tributes that still occupied a public space. And also because the messages of hope and American pride came from the voices of children. Very touching indeed. By the afternoon, I had made my way up through Times Square and into the Museum of Modern Art where I spent the next 2 hours taking in more post-9/11-inspired photography work. My day ended with a nice coffee break in the garden park of the New York Public Library, a pitstop at Barnard, a partial viewing of the movie Yi Yi, and finally dinner with Margaret and Dave. It is now time to let those leg muscles and bones regenerate... Oh, the pain... Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

Where Little Italy meets Chinatown. Corner of Mott St & Pell St.

32 Mott, original historic storefront. Looking down Mott St from Canal St.

Spiderman in Chinatown! Cool! Walking towards Greenwich.

Admiring the 9/11 tribute. Pizza and pop break in Greenwich Village.

Times Square. Radio City.

Outside MoMA.

Reflections off a shiny building along 5th Ave.

Coffee break outside the New York Public Library. Margaret at Barnard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home