4.07.2002

I am finally home! ITASA 2002 is over, and what a fun weekend it was! I'm starting to remember again why I love working with the Taiwanese American and Asian American communities... My workshops on Asian American history went very well (I didn't see anyone fall asleep), and I think I managed to open the eyes of many in the "next generation." Gotta love that feeling of being able to make a difference. One of the other speakers for the conference was Alberta Lee, daughter of Dr. Wen Ho Lee. How interesting that I had heard him speak while I was in LA in January, and now I'm able to meet Alberta! She was really cool and so easygoing, and her message to the participants really spoke to them. I think it made an impact on many who were there. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with her again when I head out to SF at the end of April...

The 2nd Generation speakers.


So I thought the conference was really well organized and very creative. Go Tim and Michelle! Your crew was awesome! I haven't been this impressed with a conference for a long time. The Night Market thing was just so cool with all the booths, games, food, music, and crowds underneath this huge tent in the Engineering quad. Sherry and I won some t-shirts, pop, and candy by playing Pachinko! They also had these "glamour shots" sessions - which I would never do, but of course it's just so completely Taiwanese...

A quick TAFer group pic. Looking so glamourous!

With a little coaching by HoCh, you too can be glamourous!


It seemed that between events or after the day's activities, we all managed to see each other at Evo, the bubble tea joint on campus... what else is new right? How can a college student study with bubble tea around the corner? I don't understand...


A dark chocolate puppy truffle from Moonstruck goes well with my bubble tea.


It was really neat meeting some of the ITASA National Board members. Although we didn't spend alot of time together, they were a fun bunch to hang around with and talk to (and drink with - that last shot really hurt). It really is clear to me that they are committed to bringing a sense of unity to the Taiwanese American collegiate community. I've seen many conferences where "invisible" national representatives claim more credit than they deserve, but I think this group was a good example of how giving recognition where credit is due (go U of I TASC!) goes a long way towards furthering the cause. OK, enough commentary.

A pic with some of the ITASA National Board.


To see all my fellow TAFers again was just so great, considering it may be my last time for who knows how long. Hanging out with them always feels like "home." And I love them all. Even the TAFers that I may not have hung out with much before. As we've gotten older together, the friendships just continue to blossom. I'm happy.

"Supafine!"

Most of the TAFers after Formosa Night. So fun!

TAFers having lunch at Asiana. Free miso soup!

Rosanna, girl with the magic slippers. Davef & Harms - fantastic gadgets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home