2.28.2002

I normally don't write about stuff that goes on in the hospital, and really I shouldn't for the sake of confidentiality. But today was definitely a good day for me. It just felt different. I really really liked my experiences today with the pediatric cardiologists and the patients we saw. It's been a long time since I've been able to say how much I appreciate being in the medical profession because most of the time I feel like I'm "just a medical student" or the whole senioritis thing just keeps me fairly unmotivated. But today, I had the opportunity to do rounds (that means walk and talk about the patients) with the cardiologists by myself, and just absorb their knowledge, thoughts, and style. Plus I could ask them my "dumb" questions... which they didn't mind answering. They also had to break some bad news to a set of parents who had a newborn with a genetic disorder - a tough situation for anyone, but they did it with such compassion and patience. And the parents took it well. It was just amazing to be in the room to experience the encounter. Y'know, today, it simply felt good to just be able to learn without worrying about my status in the whole hierarchy of the medical profession. If this is what it's going to feel like as a pediatric resident next year, then I can't wait. The day was relatively long... but I just didn't mind today. Let this be a reminder to everyone that we all serve as role models to somebody else. Even if you're a young person, there's somebody out there that looks up to you. Be good. Be caring. You may be making an impact without even knowing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home