10.06.2005

Yesterday, I laughed at my friend Gina when she told me she sneezed everytime she walked out into the sunshine. I thought that was just silly and there was no medical or physiological reason why that should happen. "Psychologically related," I said.

Today, my google searches and Wikipedia have proven me incorrect: "Photic sneeze reflex (also whimsically called ACHOO, a backronym for Autosomal dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst) is a medical condition by which people exposed to bright light sneeze."

But I was somewhat correct when I jokingly guessed that she probably had some short circuit where some of her nerve paths cross. "Overstimulation of the optic nerve triggers the trigeminal nerve, and this causes the photic sneeze reflex."

Dr. Ho Chie gets 1/2 a point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home