5.19.2004

Despite the controversy over the close results of the recent Taiwanese elections, one must admit that democracy in action is an exciting thing to see. With this third ever Presidential election, and an over 80% voter turn-out rate, the people of Taiwan have demonstrated the ideals of a free and independent nation. In recognition of that spirit, I decided to go to the local Bay area celebration to watch the live telecast of the inauguration event this evening.

And quite an event it was, starting with the strong presence of security and police, and the small crowd of bitter Blue Party protesters jeering the mass arrival of the Green Party supporters. A few of them actually pointed their fingers with the universal "Bang Bang, I've shot you" welcome. Talk about maturity - I thought we gave this sort of thing up by the 5th grade. Anyways, I started laughing when I drove by them, as the irony of the moment unfolded in light of the pre-election assassination attempt. Who is accusing who again? How funny.

The event itself was very well attended. But sure enough, during one of the first introductory speeches, a couple of protesters who managed to infiltrate the audience made their way up to the stage to attempt to disrupt the celebration. Needless to say, security wisked them away as quickly as they became the butt of jokes to the proceeding guest speakers. Disrespectful as they were, we must all understand that only in a democratic society can fools be free fools. Express yourself. You have that right.

Anyways, I hoped to catch a glimpse of my dad sitting somewhere in the front section of the actual inauguration event in Taiwan. I didn't. But it was fulfilling to watch the swearing-in ceremony of both President Chen Shui-ban and Vice-president Annette Lu for another term. I remember back to my childhood days in the suburbs of Chicago, when my parents were very active in the Taiwan Independence Movement, and when we once hosted a woman who had been jailed for her political views. My mom's friend, Annette, would become one of the most powerful and visionary women in Taiwan. If only I had known back then what we all know today, I might have given her a hug and thanked her for the future.

The surprise of the evening? That would be seeing my friend Welly Yang performing live to a crowd of hundreds of thousands during the Inauguration Ceremonies itself. A Taiwanese American singing Stand By Me, telecasted to all of Taiwan and the world. How appropriate. How hopeful.

A proud and celebratory people.

Annette and A-Bian. Welly Yang performs.


Welly and me, speakers at the recent West Coast ITASA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home