4.05.2003

I saw a poster for an Asian Pacific Islander Issues Conference at Berkeley, so I decided to attend today. The keynote speech was given by Eric Mar, VP of the San Francisco Board of Education. He also teaches Asian American Studies at SF State University, and is friends with Russell, husband of one of my fellow interns, who also teaches there. Small world. I also participated in a couple of sessions that addressed API delinquency issues and met some of the people who put together the research publications that I used for my presentation a few months ago. What a fine coincidence I think. I might be able to help them with some further research through the Children's Hospital I hope.

Later that evening, I stopped by again and caught some of the closing performances. One of the performers was particularly impressive - Golda "The Supanova" Sargento, who had an amazing voice and supporting band. Apparently, her significant other is Dennis Kim from I Was Born With Two Tongues. I used to watch alot of the Tongue's performances back in Chicago (Marlon and Anida! Old skool U of I activists!). Anyways, I was pretty impressed with the conference overall. It's good to see and feel the Movement again. I miss the good old days of upsetting the Order and mobilizing Action. I don't do anything anymore I realize. Instead, I'm becoming of historical interest. I must be getting old and tired. Damn.

APA activism is alive and well in Berkeley. Feels good.

But I'm tired.


During a break in the conference, I hung out with TAYL crowd for a planning meeting. I'm not even going to be able to make it to Camp this year, but still, I love hanging out with them. They are like my family here. So adorable they all are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home